Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Say My Name

As a worship leader - albeit not a very good one - I've noticed a worrying trend recently in new worship music. It's the use of the word "Love" in place of the word "God." Yeah, with a capital "L" and everything!Now, I know that 1 John 4:8 says that "God is love," but I don't think the Apostle John intended to imply that "Love" is an alternate name for God. I can't recall a single time in Scripture where God referred to Himself as "Love." God has referred to Himself as Jehovah, Yahweh, I AM, and a number of other titles and names, but never "Love."

I guess it might not be that big of a deal, but I just don't get it. Can't we just call God, God? It would make more sense to me if it was, like, one reference in a song and the rest of the song used the word "God." But it seems like I keep hearing more and more worship songs that are written and sung exclusively to "Love." Is love somehow less intimidating than God? Is love more lovely than God? Less scary than God? Nicer than God? If any of those are true for you, than you probably need to re-evaluate your understanding of God's love.

I apologize in advance to all of you out there who write worship music. I appreciate and covet your talent, but if you write songs that only address "Love," I'm probably going to rewrite your lyrics if I use your song in corporate worship.

1 comment:

  1. Funny.....I was just thinking about that the other day. Thanks Christopher..

    ReplyDelete